Thursday, February 28, 2008

Student Gallery Show to NOT Miss

A talented group of 14 students camped out at the deserted Salton Sea recently. (The story behind that city is: basically, it flooded some time in the 50s and the people of the town just picked up and left.) They snaped photos, roasted marshmellows over the campfire, sang songs and even contructed a tin man out of cardboard, if that makes sense. Anyway, they had a lot of fun doing it and in the process created art. Their show "Desert Escapade" is on view for its final day at the Gatov Gallery close to the Fine Art Buildings.

Left: Gaby Roth's fish sculpture is the prettiest piece in the collection. I loved it. I Right: Rebecca Kosturko's high-gloss photography captured her artist-mates in a good light.

Left: Photographer Tori Puente stands next to her b&w portraits of the Salton Sea. I Right: Paul Sargeant's Box Man guards Paul Sargeant's photos of the Box Man.







Left: Paul Sargeant's Polaroid up close with the Box Man's legs. I Center: Michelle Bongirno combined earth, color and technology in this subtle collection of photos. I Right: Vishal Goklani's installation made me want to crawl in for a nap. I wanted to, and there is a sign that welcomes you to do that, too. But... I wasn't too sure of where those blankets came from or what all that mess was on the side of the bed or even if there was a mattress underneath.

Photos and videos by Barbara Navarro.


The Artists Showing their Work in "Desert Escapade":

Michelle Bongirno I Vishal Goklani I Kat Halsey I Spencer Harding I Eric Herbranson I Rebecca Kosturko I Alba Lucas I Tori Puente I Leanne Roberson I Gaby Roth I Marco Sanchez I Paul Sargeant I Chris Smith I John Takahashi

No comments: