Sunday, May 4, 2008

The yummy Frosted Cupkery: Minutes from CSULB, seconds from Cindo de Mayo!



Yummy! Frosted Cupcakery, found minutes away from Cal State Long Beach, tucked along a street cruising off the ever-popular Belmont Shore strand (at Second Street and Claremont Avenue), you can find this tasty cupcake (yeah, the one in the picture), lovingly dubbed the Flavor of the Month.

I stopped in today to try it. The cupcake's fluffy white cake is frosted with a rich, "Mexican-inspired" frosting (officially "Mexican chocolate buttercream"), flecks sprinkled around. There's even a miniature paper Mexican flag swinging on top. But, don't be scared that you'll miss out. The cupcakery worker assured me that the cupcake would be around well past the Cinco de Mayo holiday. (Durrr... Flavor of the Month, Barbara.)

As soon as I bit into this cupcake, anyway, I immediately identified this taste. My mom has used this chocolate at home countless times, I was sure. And, yes, if I had to describe the taste of this chocolate, I'd tell you to try Nestle's Abuelita, a rock hard dark chocolate that's laced with cinnamon and covered in coarse sugar.

Stop by Frosted Cupcakery to try it! (And, by the way, they also blog.) In the meantime, I'm curious...

How are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo?

Photos by Barbara Navarro.

No comments: