Wednesday, February 20, 2008

'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' was just, well, horrible! (Part 1 of 2)

Attending the last performance of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Queen Mary two weeks ago was such a dreadful process! The initial appeal was irresistible as Kristen, the diversions editor, and I debated back and forth for days why this would be the show to attend out of the rest and whether it would be her or I to report on this last-show hurrah.

The reasons to attend suddenly became more obvious, and I (unfortunately) ended up going.

For one, I thought, this would be the last show put on at the Queen Mary, since, according to press releases, the Queen Mary’s management suddenly and “without cause” terminated all rights for the performance troupe, Midnight Insanity, to continue its residence at the Royal Theater. The logic there was simple.

And, secondly, my interest to seeing this show peeked when I read that the troupe would be heading next to the Warner Grand across the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, my hometown.

But since attending the show, I can’t help but question Kristen’s, or anybody’s entertainment tastes when they tell me they’re into this “Rocky Horror” cult phenomenon. Kristen, I should point out, added extra sentiment to the bizarre performance by telling me a romantic story about her parents’ fantastical moments of dancing and singing with kooky cast members, all while her parents fell in love and eventually married. She, too, has a sweet spot for these shows.

The evening at the Queen Mary for this 1,127th performance show started off, well, rocky. As my friends noted, it all started going downhill the moment I asked for the coat-check closet.

Things like that just didn’t exist in places like this. And in fact, my friends and I were obviously overdressed for a night that had temperatures dipping into the 40s. We wore dark slacks and long-sleeved shirts while every other girl (the great majority the unattractive size of Beth Ditto) wore fishnet stockings and bustiers four sizes too small.

Story to be continued...


As bad as it looks! The video and photo above shows Riff Raff directing "Rocky" virgins in their inaugural dance.


Dr. Frank-N-Furter plays with his own special "boy toy" Rocky in these pictures. In the picture on the left, you can see Janet ("Slut!") stranded awkwardly to the side.


Only certain people were clued in as to what happened during the Time Warp.

All photos and video by Barbara Navarro.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbie girl as much as i wish i could take that night back we will never get that night back. just to think we couldve gone and watched a normal movie and not been around all those under dressed over weight wierdos at the rocky hoorror picture show lol. I hope they do NOT stay in San Pedro this is our town and they should not be part of it!