Saturday, February 23, 2008

I Am What I Read



Whenever I return to Book Soup on Sunset, the rejuvenation process for me pushes fast forward. I love this place, inside and out (literally!). There's an outside area that houses a wealth of magazines that I constantly return to. They're stocked with anything from local tastemakers to rare international rags. Inside is just as pleasing, with tall, black bookshelves filled with all the newest, glossiest books. And, as funny as this may sound, I really dig their bathroom. The floor squeaks in there and it sounds just right; the lighting, bright and perfect; and the walls are decorated with blue, bubbly graffiti. I love the filth. Just love it.

To further celebrate my admiration of those ubiquitous magazine stands I love so much, I've chronicled a picture collection of all of my favorite magazines (and other reads). These are the publications that I love, and I strongly recommend you pick them up and read them, too!

1 - Anthem Magazine

I've been obsessed with Anthem Magazine for about a year or two (their aesthetic is so clean and modern), and more recently I've been even more obsessed with their editor-in-chief, Dustin Beatty (who is so cute and actually a CSULB grad). I definitely recommend checking out their newly re-launched website, where the mag's featuring Comme des Garçons and the Liars as an online exclusive. (Dustin blogs quite frequently on there, too!)

2 - My high-fashion amassment of girly mags.

Hot to hottest: Michelle Williams on the cover of Interview; Mandy "Candy" Moore on TeenVogue; Natalie Portman, Allure; La Lohan on Elle; and some fabulous Katie Holmes-looking supermodel on Harper's Bazaar.

3 - The everyday stuff.
a. b. c.

a. Oooh... I only buy the LA Times when I know an Image section is included. I'm into their Calendar, Arts & Music and Travel sections, too. But something about Image clicks with me on an entirely different level. b. Metromix is a new raggy weekly that I found in LA just yesterday. I was very pleased with the abbreviated bits of articles in there, mostly because they were short enough for me to read while in traffic. c. Celine, Kerouac and Plath. Currently, bedside. There's always a space for Bukowski and Fante, Levertov, Neruda and Octavio Paz, too.

My infatuation with book stores and books themselves is true. Click here to visit my story on Long Beach's Acres of Books, which appeared in the Daily Forty-Niner on Monday, Jan. 28, 2008.

All photos and video by Barbara Navarro.

So, what do you read?

No comments: